Friday 28 July 2017

My son died of sepsis. He'd still be alive if I'd known what it was

My son died of sepsis. He'd still be alive if I'd known what it was There is a gaping hole in public, and clinical, awareness of the condition. Information about sepsis needs to be put into parents’ hands

My son Sam should be 10 years old. I say “should” because on 23 December 2010 he died suddenly and avoidably from sepsis. When he came down with flu-like symptoms the week before Christmas I wasn’t overly concerned as he was still behaving like Sam would when he was ill.

But the morning of 22 December was different. He didn’t perk up as normal after medicine. He looked very pale, wasn’t interested in anything and was incredibly thirsty. What struck me as most odd was that his very high temperature had dropped almost to normal, but he looked so much more ill. I thought a lowering temperature meant he should be getting better – it didn’t make sense. I had never heard of sepsis. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment