Friday 28 July 2017

I’m an NHS doctor: understaffing is putting my patients at risk | Anonymous

I’m an NHS doctor: understaffing is putting my patients at risk | Anonymous The government has broken its word and, despite all the warnings, seems to be ignoring the danger of a Mid Staffs-style scandal on a national scale• Anonymous is a junior hospital doctor

A new joke is doing the rounds in my hospital. How many doctors does it take to change a lightbulb? The answer is 11. One to do the actual changing, the other 10 invented by Department of Health spin doctors in response to the latest headlines about NHS understaffing.

This week, those headlines could not have been more stark. Data from NHS Digital revealed that there are more than 86,000 vacant posts in NHS England – a rise of 15.8% on last year, and the highest number on record. But not one of the doctors and nurses I work with was remotely surprised by the news. One day’s fleeting headlines are our everyday lived and breathed reality.

Keeping everyone safe will demand superhuman efforts that I’m not sure I have the stamina to keep providing much longer Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment