Thursday 28 January 2016

I am a patient with a learning disability – the NHS is letting us down

I am a patient with a learning disability – the NHS is letting us down Three people with a learning disability die unnecessarily every day. If staff had the right training, this could be stopped

I know we’re lucky to have healthcare available to everyone in this country, but people with learning disabilities are not getting the quality of care they should. I have a learning disability and I know how difficult it can be to access the NHS. There are 1.4 million people with a learning disability in the UK and research shows that 1,200 are dying avoidably in NHS care every year.

Attitudes of healthcare professionals need to improve when it comes to learning disability. I have been seen by doctors who don’t take my concerns seriously, or do not take the time to listen to what I have to say. These bad experiences put me off going to see a doctor when I need to. I know which doctors I have had a good experience with in the past, and if they aren’t available, I tend to delay my appointment until they are free. I shouldn't have to wait longer just because certain GPs don’t have a good understanding of learning disabilities and the support I need. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment