Friday 15 November 2019

My daughter died of dementia at 42. I'm angry doctors took so long to diagnose her

My daughter died of dementia at 42. I'm angry doctors took so long to diagnose her As a nurse I’m used to dealing with illnesses, but not enough is known about this cruel disease. I want to increase awareness

My daughter Anna was 36 when she started to exhibit strange, inexplicable behaviours, both at work and at home. Anna was a clinical trials research nurse in a busy hospital. She was also a wife, and a mum to two young sons.

Her behaviours escalated to the point where it was not safe for her to be at home. She would clap, bang her head, whistle, wail, take off her shoes and run like a child in the hospital corridors, eat any food she could lay her hands on, bite and chew inappropriately. Worse than that was her complete lack of empathy and inhibition. She was forced to give up her job and had to come and live with us, her parents. The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment