Thursday 12 March 2020

'Thank God I said something': the beauticians who spot domestic abuse

'Thank God I said something': the beauticians who spot domestic abuse A Brazilian scheme is teaching salon workers to help identify at-risk women. And a similar scheme is now being trialled in the UK

Ivone Vera, 35, sits in a small room in a beauty salon in Campo Grande, Brazil, where she spends her days waxing clients. It’s an intimate space with a bed, a table in the corner, bare walls and no windows. Within the privacy of these four walls, over the last three years she has heard countless stories of women’s abuse at the hands of their male partners.

“What I hear in this room really affects me and sometimes I don’t know what I can do. There are times I lie awake at night, not able to go to sleep thinking about what I’ve heard,” she says. The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment