Friday 6 December 2019

As a junior doctor I can reach breaking point. A patient's note keeps me going

As a junior doctor I can reach breaking point. A patient's note keeps me going To have someone recognise the difficulty of my job meant so much, and reminded me why I became a doctor

As a junior doctor who has experienced depression, I often wake up feeling like there’s a weight on top of me. During shifts we’re split in so many different directions that eating or even going to the toilet are out of the question. I’m painfully aware patients wait hours for care or even just to be discharged, and I can’t stand not being able to prevent delays.

It’s rare that I’d ever get a chance to voice these concerns to patients. That’s why Mr Jones, an elderly patient I got to know from his recurring visits to the ward I was working on, sticks out in my mind. The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment