Friday 11 October 2019

The grief over my daughter's suicide never ends, but I can help other junior doctors

The grief over my daughter's suicide never ends, but I can help other junior doctors As a doctor myself I know how isolating this job can be, which is why I am raising awareness of mental wellbeing at my trust

I first heard of my daughter Lauren’s disappearance in the early hours of the morning on 1 March 2017. Her car was found abandoned near a beach in Devon after she had been reported missing from her job in the A&E department of a NHS trust.

I remember suddenly feeling old, helpless and awfully afraid. Lauren was 26 and in her third year as a junior doctor in the south-west of England; I am a senior hospital doctor, approaching retirement and working in the midlands. It took only days to come to the inescapable but shocking conclusion that Lauren had taken her own life. Something I thought was unthinkable and only happened to other people had happened to me. The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment