Monday 14 October 2019

My tears as a junior doctor were a ‘flaw’ that, in psychiatry, became my greatest strength

My tears as a junior doctor were a ‘flaw’ that, in psychiatry, became my greatest strength I burnt out as a GP but in mental health I could take time with patients and, at last, make a difference

“If you’re going to reject me, then reject me,” I said. I was deep in the bowels of Leicester University, being interviewed for a place at medical school. I was 35, a fact the learned professor interviewing me returned to again and again. How would I cope with the workload? Would the four hours’ driving each day prove too much? How would I support myself through my studies? Concerns that travelled through my own mind. Unlike the questions I asked myself, though, the queries in that interview room were all prefixed with “at your age”. I didn’t see my age as a problem, and eventually I told him so. The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment