Friday 30 August 2019

I'm a medical student, and I'm gay. Work would be simpler if I were heterosexual

I'm a medical student, and I'm gay. Work would be simpler if I were heterosexual Does the pledge for doctors to be honest include our sexuality? If I tell the truth, I risk losing patient trust to homophobia

I’m a medical student heading into my sixth and final year, and I am a gay woman. I feel like my work as a healthcare professional would be much simpler if I were heterosexual.

When medical students (and the wider medical community) work on a ward, getting to know the patients is important. We have time to sit and chat with patients about their grandchildren, their dogs and where they went on holiday when they were young. In turn, most people like to know a bit about us. Forming a human connection with people under your care, especially those who are older or prone to loneliness, is essential in building a trusting patient-doctor relationship. I hit a sticking point time and time again. I’m asked if I have a husband, a boyfriend, children, or plans to marry someone soon. The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment