Friday 3 May 2019

Sectioning people made me feel so guilty I couldn't carry on in my job anymore

Sectioning people made me feel so guilty I couldn't carry on in my job anymore A total lack of support for local authority-employed approved mental health professionals led to burnout for me.

Until a few weeks ago, I was part of an emergency service you probably don’t know about. I’m a social worker trained as an approved mental health professional (AMHP), qualified to carry out Mental Health Act 1983 assessments. Alongside two doctors, I assessed anyone deemed to be an immediate risk to themselves or others because of their mental distress, and then devised an emergency plan to keep them safe. If treatment in the community wasn’t enough, I would section someone to a psychiatric hospital. The legislation demands that every local authority provide a 24/7 AMHP service, because of course mental health crises are not confined to weekdays. The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment