Friday 10 May 2019

'My tutor said it wasn't a job for a man': my journey from roofer to midwife

'My tutor said it wasn't a job for a man': my journey from roofer to midwife I’ve encountered sexism, but it’s an amazing job and an honour to support women give birth

It was after I almost died falling off a roof that I decided to train to be a midwife.

I was a roofer doing a repair job 36 feet off the ground when I slipped. I fell and hit a gas pipe on the way down. My right foot shattered, and I broke my left leg, my right arm, and my back in two places. I was in hospital for three-and-a-half months. It was pretty horrific but I’m alive and I can walk. I was so impressed by the people who looked after me, which was one of the reasons I wanted to go into the caring profession.

I don’t deliver the baby, the women do. I’m a cheerleader. The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment