Wednesday 6 March 2019

Retraining experienced NHS medics: ‘They don’t care if you are 60 or 16'

Retraining experienced NHS medics: ‘They don’t care if you are 60 or 16' Paramedics, nurses and healthcare assistants are adapting existing skills for new roles with the help of apprenticeships

Age has been no barrier to Jed Bates’ ambition to become one of the first nursing associates– a brand-new bridging role between healthcare assistant and registered nurse.

The 61-year-old has just qualified after completing the two-year apprenticeship and now plans to continue down the same route to degree-level and become a qualified nurse. “I never thought I’d ever go to university. I left school at 16 and have been working all my life. I was quite happy with the way my life was going and there was no way that I could afford the £9,000 tuition fees. But with the apprenticeship, all that gets paid for.” The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment