Monday 12 November 2018

What’s it like for a psychiatrist to section someone? I wish I didn’t know

What’s it like for a psychiatrist to section someone? I wish I didn’t know | Mariam Alexander I’d gladly never deprive anyone of their liberty again. But sometimes, it saves lives

I’m a psychiatrist. When people discover this, after the obligatory, “Are you analysing me right now?” (no – at least not in the way you think), the next question is nearly always, “Do you section people?”

For the uninitiated, being “sectioned” in England and Wales means being detained in a hospital under the Mental Health Act (MHA). This can happen if someone is experiencing a mental disorder of a “nature and degree” that could jeopardise their health or safety or the safety of others, and they are unwilling or unable to agree to hospital admission. The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment