Friday 20 July 2018

My husband's stroke showed me the best and worst of the NHS

My husband's stroke showed me the best and worst of the NHS Seeing the service from a different perspective forced me to assess my priorities and influenced how I treat my own patients

In March 2012, my husband had a stroke. He was 34. I recognised the signs within seconds, called 999 and had a hospital bag ready by the time the ambulance arrived four minutes later. Sam’s speech was slurred and he had lost 50% of his vision. In A&E, I held the sick bowl as he vomited again and again. As he was rushed off for a scan, I was in complete shock. In true English fashion I went to get a cup of tea. But the restaurant was closed and the vending machine broken; it was then that I cried. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment