Friday 8 June 2018

I'm an oncologist who got breast cancer. This is what I learned

I'm an oncologist who got breast cancer. This is what I learned Cancer is not a battle, hair loss does matter – and even doctors like me can’t prepare for the effects of chemotherapy

In August 2017, during the last month of my maternity leave, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Initially, I was plagued by memories of the young patients I had discharged home or to the hospice for end-of-life care. Thankfully they are few – but they are the ones you remember. My experience of being on the other side of the consultation desk will shape my future career and it has helped me to understand what goes on for patients. It has been an education in patience, humility and gratitude. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment