Thursday 3 May 2018

I never wanted to be a nurse but helping a suicidal patient changed my mind

I never wanted to be a nurse but helping a suicidal patient changed my mind I failed twice to get a nursing degree, but I’ve seen how my experience of mental health problems can help others

Working as a nurse was not something I ever saw myself doing while I was growing up. The possibilities seemed endless and I dreamed of being everything from an archaeologist to a vet. However, at the age of 15 I received a life-changing diagnosis and the world I knew fell apart. Overnight my life changed from that of a normal teenager to one punctuated with unrelenting rounds of in-patient psychiatric treatment and a near-fatal battle with anorexia.

My own journey, and the healthcare professionals who had influenced it – both good and not so good – had a profound effect on me and I began to consider nursing as a career. I wondered if I would be able to use my experience to help others in similar positions, and felt a strong desire to give something back. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment