Friday 23 February 2018

A new heart saved my life. Too many others don't get that chance

A new heart saved my life. Too many others don't get that chance An opt-out system for organ donation could improve the outcomes for critically ill people waiting for a heart transplant

I’m alive today because I had a heart transplant at the age of 38. I grew up in fear of what was around the corner because I knew that my heart was unreliable. Life was a rollercoaster of optimism and depression, the ups and downs of a future that ultimately relied on someone, somewhere, giving me the biggest gift possible – their heart.


A woman who died before her time, who I will never get to thank, gave me that gift. I can’t begin to tell you what this has meant to me and those I love.

If we would be willing to accept an organ, why would we not give one? Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment