Monday 18 September 2017

‘I was the first baby delivered by the NHS. It has saved my life eight times’

‘I was the first baby delivered by the NHS. It has saved my life eight times’ Aneira Thomas was named by her mother after the architect of the health service

It was coming up to midnight on Sunday 4 July 1948 and my mother, who had been in labour for 18 hours, was just about ready to give birth to me. She wanted to start pushing. But the doctors and midwives looked up at the clock on the wall and said, “Stop. Hold on, Edna, hold on.” They knew they were moments away from the start of the National Health Service and wanted me to be the first baby born into this new service. So my mother took a deep breath and held on. That’s how I was born at one minute past midnight on Monday 5 July 1948 – the first NHS baby.

That was in a cottage hospital in a little corner of west Wales called Glanamman. It was the staff there who told my mother, “You must call her Aneira,” the female form of Aneurin, after Aneurin Bevan, the architect of the NHS. They knew it was significant that Bevan’s dream of a health service that was free for everyone to use had come to fruition that day.

I never knew any of my grandparents because they died between the ages of 30 and 50. My mother lived until she was 95 Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment