Friday 25 August 2017

The NHS saved my little sister – so I decided to become a doctor

The NHS saved my little sister – so I decided to become a doctor A trip to accident and emergency as an eight-year-old 32 years ago was the inspiration for my career

For many doctors in the UK, this time of the year is the anniversary of the start of our careers. For me, 2017 is also the 32nd anniversary of the event that determined why I became a doctor.

In 1981, when my sister wasn’t even one year old, she contracted epiglottitis. She was very sick and was treated at Raigmore hospital in Inverness. She recovered but, four years later, in August 1985, she became sick again with a runny nose, fever, and raspy breathing. I was eight, but I remember that she looked toxic. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment