Monday 10 October 2016

I changed career to do mental health nursing but now I'm drowning

I changed career to do mental health nursing but now I'm drowning My job can be wonderful, but the reality is so much harder than I expected. It feels like it’s not safe sometimes

In my late twenties I decided to go back to university to study mental health nursing. I am now several months into my first position as a qualified nurse in an acute psychiatric hospital. There are days I question my decision and think: “What the hell have I done?” I sometimes feel trapped in a position I have worked so hard to achieve and I wonder if this is to be my life from now on.

Before I became a nurse I was a support worker looking after people with learning disabilities. I supported a service user who had physical and communication difficulties and she would fight, bite and scream at staff. However, when we were together we would laugh for hours and we developed an amazing relationship. I realised I had a knack for caring for people who were considered challenging and the whole nursing business escalated from there.

I knew I was entering a challenging yet rewarding career; I just never anticipated how tough it would be Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment