Friday 30 September 2016

My clients assumed I had a new job – I couldn't say I had cancer

My clients assumed I had a new job – I couldn't say I had cancer As a therapist, personal boundaries are essential but when my own counsellor died of the disease I wished I’d been more open

Some years ago I found a lump in my right breast. In the week between tests and diagnosis I prepared a contingency plan, not for me but for my clients. My intuition told me this was cancer and, if so, I would need to stop working with immediate effect.

The day after the diagnosis I agreed with my then employer a hand-over plan, and what I would tell clients. Therapists are encouraged not to disclose information about themselves to clients. Personal boundaries are essential to avoid anything that might distort and take away from the story of the other, who is seeking support. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment