Monday 26 September 2016

I've worked as a GP receptionist under a year and I'm already burnt out

I've worked as a GP receptionist under a year and I'm already burnt out I came into the job to help patients but there are just so many. Neither I nor the NHS can keep this up

It’s only 8.15am and the appointments for the day are already fully booked despite our appointment booking line opening at 8am. Less than a year ago this was an anomaly, now it’s the norm, as are queues out the door when we open. I spend the rest of the morning bearing the brunt of patient irritation, which is mostly aimed at our lack of appointments. I share their frustration because the service is substandard and it only seems to be getting worse.

The calls keep flooding in, the phone rings all day and I often finish work with a headache from the sound. The calls can be incredibly stressful one moment – talking to someone who is struggling to breathe – to mundane the next with patients who are convinced that their three-day cough constitutes an emergency. Patient anger often unfortunately comes back on to the receptionists, I wish they could see the wider picture and direct their anger at the government that is responsible for cutting their services. Continue reading... The Guardian

See also:

No comments:

Post a Comment