Friday 19 August 2016

I learned the hard way that medicine can be humiliating and incestuous

I learned the hard way that medicine can be humiliating and incestuous Dressing downs in front of nurses and not knowing who is married to whom add to a junior doctor’s worries

Early in my career as a junior doctor I had a rotation I was looking forward to, where I was working with different senior doctors in the mornings and afternoons. I was quite excited as this was definitely a part of medicine I was interested in.

On one of my first days I arrived at 6.30am to meet my senior doctor. I waited in the pre-op area, a room with several beds and curtains where patients have their regular checks before an operation. A small congregation of doctors and nurses wandered in talking. I didn’t know what the senior doctor who I would be working with looked like so I asked one of the nurses. “Yes, that’s him there,” she said with a cautious look. I walked proudly up to him and introduced myself. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment