Tuesday 23 August 2016

I fail patients in my job as a psychiatric nurse and leave them feeling worse

I fail patients in my job as a psychiatric nurse and leave them feeling worse We try our best for people who need help in their darkest hours but with a lack of beds many are receiving inadequate care

It’s 5am. An hour ago the bed manager called me and asked me to ask a suicidal woman, who had already been in a busy London A&E department for 11 hours, if she would agree to being admitted to a hospital in Manchester.

I didn’t think it appropriate to wake someone at such a time in the morning but allowing her to sleep was not an option because we need the bed space. I approach the patient; she’s already awake. “I haven’t slept all night, it’s so noisy here” she tells me. “I feel awful; can’t I just go home?” I apologise and explain that the only available psychiatric bed is in Manchester. “No, it’s too far from my family”. I tell her I understand. She starts to cry; I want to cry with her. She feels depressed and worthless and I haven’t been able to help. How am I, as a psychiatric nurse, caring for her and helping lift her out of the awful dark place she finds herself in? I think about people who are in physical pain and ask myself whether we would expect them to wait without any treatment for over 11 hours. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment