Thursday 2 June 2016

Suicidal and detained for my own safety, I saw the mental health system failing | Karl Knights

Suicidal and detained for my own safety, I saw the mental health system failing | Karl Knights More and more young people are being spat out of hospitals, or waiting three months for therapy when they can’t even make it through the day

I was detained under section 136 of the Mental Health Act. Campus security at my university had called the police when I expressed an intent to harm myself at a bar. As I was put in the back of the police car, I felt a mixture of shame at being treated like a common criminal, as though I’d done something wrong, and relief.

Now I didn’t have to bear the weight of my monochrome, depressed world and my fate was out of my hands. I was being taken to somewhere where I would receive treatment, they said. I was terrified. We arrived at suite 136, and I was detained pending an assessment.

Each conversation about mental health is a hand extended to someone who may otherwise feel isolated and alone Continue reading... The Guardian

See also:

No comments:

Post a Comment