Thursday 23 June 2016

I take opioids to treat chronic pain. Stigmatizing them will harm me

I take opioids to treat chronic pain. Stigmatizing them will harm me | Sonya Huber The push to blame the nation’s epidemic on too many prescriptions could have negative ramifications for patients who rely on them for pain management

A recent visit to one of my doctors started out in the usual way, with a review of my current medications. I have rheumatoid arthritis, an incurable autoimmune disease, so my list of medications is fairly long. The doctor paused when she reached Tramadol, a mild opioid I use sometimes before bed when pain threatens to steal sleep.

“You need this every night?” she asked. This caring doctor I’d trusted for years stiffened as if on alert. I could practically read on her face the March 2016 recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention accused doctors of creating the opioid crisis and recommending that the “vast majority of patients” with chronic pain not be treated with opioids. Continue reading... The Guardian

See also:

No comments:

Post a Comment