Tuesday 5 April 2016

Seeing how the NHS handles attempted child suicide scares me

Seeing how the NHS handles attempted child suicide scares me The attitude of medical staff is a big problem, but it’s the system and lack of adolescent mental health beds that causes me the greatest stress.

Sometimes when I look into a child’s eyes I see anxiety as they decide to tell me they want to kill themselves. They might be worried at my possible reaction; will I show disapproval, be upset? Instead, I feel a deep sadness; how can somebody so young have reached the point in their lives when they think this is the only option left?

I am an outreach child and adolescent mental health nurse in the north of England. I act as the first response following a suicide attempt in a young person. I carry out a risk assessment, arrange follow up support, then decide if a young person is safe to go home, or needs a place of safety. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment