Tuesday 1 December 2015

Rapid response: a fear of litigation means I often treat patients I shouldn't

Rapid response: a fear of litigation means I often treat patients I shouldn't Inappropriate referrals are the symptom of a culture of risk aversion in the NHS. Consequently everyone receives a diluted service

Ken is lying on the sofa. He’s only just got up and is still a little tousled in his PJs, but despite all that, he’s as bright and poised as any of the paintings or ceramics that surround him. “Thank you so much for coming,” he says. “I’m sorry to be a pain.”

Ken is 62, still in full-time work, goes to yoga classes and on trips abroad. He is perfectly independent. This has been a bad week, though. His sciatica has flared up and put him out of commission again. His doctor has referred him to us, the rapid response team. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment