Friday 14 August 2015

What really happens the day junior doctors start work in the NHS

What really happens the day junior doctors start work in the NHS Terror, pride, hierarchy and failing IT are some of the things that characterise doctors’ first days. We asked healthcare professionals to tell us their stories.

I was on call consultant on 6 August, which is actually the first day most of the team hit the shop floor. The Wednesday is still mostly filled with hospital inductions. There was almost no senior (consultant) cover available, as many were on annual leave with their families.

For me, every little setback in those first weeks made me feel like a failure

I had no idea what to do with this human being or how to solve the problem of her being on the floor

I had an unbelievable day – it really was everything that I had worked towards

I learned some of the most important lessons in my career – more to do with relationships than with physiology Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment