Tuesday 12 May 2015

I work in mental health but colleagues don't understand my depression

I work in mental health but colleagues don't understand my depression


Sickness policies are punitive. One manager once told me: ‘You can’t be that ill, you’re just lazy’

It’s extremely difficult to describe the experience of depression to those who are lucky enough to have not experienced it. I’ve been a qualified mental health nurse for 20 years and have worked in various jobs in middle clinical and operational management. Yet, despite my clinical experience, I was ill-prepared for depression when it hit me in 2001. I ignored my increasingly difficult symptoms through shame until eventually I was overwhelmed. I broke down completely – and then of course everyone knew. Guardian

Related: As a nurse I don’t feel equipped to treat patients with mental health problems

Related: I love working in mental health – but I can’t do a good job on a shoestring

Related: I loved being a midwife but bullying, stress and fear made me resign

Continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment