Monday 27 October 2014

Simon Stevens interview: The NHS is a social movement and not just a health care service

Simon Stevens interview: The NHS is a social movement and not just a health care service This week NHS Englands new chief executive unveiled a blueprint for tackling the worst budget crunch in its 66-year history. So just who is Simon Stevens? And can he save our health service?

From his offices, with their panoramic views of south London, Simon Stevens can see the scene of his happiest experience with the NHS so far St Thomas hospital, where his wife, Maggie, gave birth to their son in 2003. Because it was Christmas day, a lot of staff were off and there were locums. There was a bit of Christmas spirit, but a lot of planned deliveries not happening, so when my son was born they basically said, If you and your wife want to go to an empty ward, you can spend the night there with your baby. In this darkened ward with no staff we spent a very happy first night. The recollection prompts a smile.

He can also recall his worst moment. He was just seven. I had a hip problem and was in hospital for the best part of a school term. It is a visceral memory. I woke one morning and I couldnt walk. I crawled to my parents bedroom. They took a bit of persuading that I wasnt just messing about, but we went to hospital. I still remember when the staff said to them, OK, you can leave him now. That first night. I was just screaming: that complete sense of abandonment. Continue reading... The Guardian

See also:

No comments:

Post a Comment