Tuesday 23 September 2014

NHS pay is complicated, unfair and frankly absurd

NHS pay is complicated, unfair and frankly absurd We must put all the facts on the table and remove perverse incentives if we are serious about making NHS pay fairer

A year after I started my NHS career, I was surprised to benefit from not one but two pay rises. I was due not only the normal type of pay rise 2% or so to cover the rising cost of living but also an incremental rise. My manager explained that the pay for my job was spread over a number of salary points, and that Id rise through those incrementally each year until I reached the top, as well as getting my cost-of-living pay rise.

I was amazed at the reams of paperwork that my manager was supposed to assess me against to decide if I was worthy of my increment. And, I was amazed that this bureaucracy was ignored so that we were given the increment automatically. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment