Friday 22 March 2019

Colleagues dismiss me as a 'demi-doc' but my role eases NHS understaffing

Colleagues dismiss me as a 'demi-doc' but my role eases NHS understaffing Advanced clinical practitioners are experienced healthcare professionals, but the role isn’t widely respected

I walk the corridors of most UK hospitals nowadays as an unknown entity. I go unnoticed as I mingle with the flocks of junior and middle-grade doctors during a ward round. I am indistinguishable due to my clinical camouflage of a stethoscope, pen torch and a (probably stolen) biro. I am neither doctor nor nurse; not a physiotherapist, operating department practitioner or paramedic. Yet my role can be all these things at once. I am an advanced clinical practitioner (ACP) and the role has been promoted as a novel solution to an age-old problem: chronic understaffing in healthcare. The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment